The storyboard I use is a very simple, but flexible format that we used in my school's ISD program. I have made a few small changes to it. Here is the template, which is made in PowerPoint, but could easily be made in MS Word too.
And here's what I include in my storyboards.
In the main frame:
- Textual content
- Graphics (even if rough representations)
- Screenshot or representation of animations, interactives, etc.
- Buttons and/or navigational features
- Page orientation
In the side frames:
- Navigational info (i.e. where each button or link will take the user)
- Text for pop-ups or rollovers
- Media info (e.g. info about the animation, video, audio, etc.)
In the bottom frame:
- Notes to developers, SMEs, or anyone else that may have access to the storyboard
- Notes that won't fit in the side frames
- Any pertinent notes that don't fall under "Navigation" of "Media"
- Color requirements, screen size, graphic sizes, etc.
Storyboard formats very widely. The above happens to be the format I like, but here are some more storyboard resources you may find helpful:
Multimedia Storyboard - Studio 1151
Storyboards for eLearning - The eLearning Coach
Free Storyboarding Template - eLearningLive.com
Creating Scripts and Storyboards for e-Learning - e-LearningGuru
Really Fast Storyboarding for e-Learning Projects - Learning & Performance Tips
Example of a storyboard in MS Word - Learning & Performance Tips
Thanks for this resource. I just started looking for instructional development jobs and I noticed a requirement for storyboarding, so your post completely told me what I wanted to learn. Its a skill I need to develop to look good in the market place.ReplyDelete
My pleasure. I am glad it was of help.ReplyDelete
You should also check out http://www.elearningguild.com. They have some great resources, plus a job board and a place to post your resume. Good luck with the job search.
Hi there, I just wrote a guest blog about this very subject. You can check it out here: http://www.articulate.com/blog/elearning-storyboarding-101/ReplyDelete
I hope its of value and adds to the subject area. Thanks!
This comment has been removed by the author.ReplyDelete