Here is what I have in my e-learning toolbox and some notes on how I use these tools.
- ToolBook authoring tool - this is the DHTML authoring tool used at my company, but prior to this I used TrainerSoft (now Outstart Trainer), which is my preference.
- Adobe Fireworks - editing graphics.
- Adobe Flash - creating interactive elements, including animation, games, immersive learning simulations, etc.
- Adobe Captivate - creating simulations (software sims and occasionally soft skill, branching sims).
- Sumtotal LCMS - already determined by the company I work for, but no complaints.
- SnagIt - grabbing screenshots.
- Adobe Dreamweaver - creating web pages and occasionally jerry-rigging the HTML in courses.
- Adobe Acrobat - creating PDFs included in courses (e.g. job aids).
- Notepad - editing XML.
- Windows MovieMaker - editing WMV files.
- PowerPoint - creating storyboards.
- Wordpress - editing and publishing my blog.
FYI: Most of what I make are asynchronous WBTs. Please feel free to share what is in your toolbox or any recommendations on tools I should add.