"Identify appropriate learning objectives and exclude the extraneous objectives trying to sneak into the
Conduct a needs analysis (even if it must informal)
- Stay focused on what learners need to succeed?
- Ask questions like “How will you/they be using this” and plenty of “Why” questions - The right questions will help identify what KSAs are REALLY needed.
- Yes, you will meet with SMEs, but also connect with and observe those actually applying the skills.
- Don’t just take the SMEs word for it – They tend to want to teach EVERYTHING (not what is specifically needed).
- Learn and use the KSAs you will be teaching, as much as possible. You will see even more learning needs when you are knee deep in the subject.
- Write up a course design plan (CDP) – Minimally outline the learning objectives.
- Use the CDP for review and agreement with your stakeholders and SMEs (not approval – agreement).
- Some edits may be needed, but the CDP should be a solid framework for all involved – limiting surprises and unneeded content when course drafts are presented.
Check in again for the next IMPS post and learn how to manage your stakeholders and SMEs.