This month's Big Question at the Learning Circuits blog is "How do you make e-learning fun?"
Before listing my ideas regarding e-learning fun, I do want to note that just because it's fun does not necessarily mean learning objectives are being met, that it is relevant to participants' learning needs, that it will motivate learners, etc. However, incorporating elements that are fun will keep the learner's attention, make it an enjoyable experience and hopefully get people talking the course up to others. For me, one of the greatest compliments is when people say, "the course was fun and I learned a lot too." FYI: If you are looking for a good way to engage and motive learners, in addition to making them fun, take a look at the ARCS Model and Gagne's Nine Events of Learning.
Back to the Big Question, here is how I make e-learning fun:
- Add humor. When appropriate of course and never, ever offensive.
- Add fun characters. I like to use numerous characters to break up any monotony, add conversations and even increase attention by creating tension between characters.
- Incorporate games into courses or make the entire course a game itself.
- Silliness is a great way to get the audience's attention and focus on specific content you want to be memorable.
- Incorporate interaction between audience members. Perhaps pose fun questions or topics they can discuss and make sure they know it is OK to have a fun, lighthearted discussion. Incorporating social media can help make this happen.
In regards to when to make e-learning fun, I try my best to make it fun whenever I can pull it off. Some topics do not easily lend themselves to being fun and if it is something emotionally sensitive then I keep it serious as not to offend. The same goes for topics that the audience and/or stakeholders take very, very seriously and do not want misinterpreted as something to be taken lightly.
Don't forget to add your two bits to the Big Question or tweet your comments using the #LCBQ hashtag.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.