[caption id="attachment_875" align="aligncenter" width="149" caption="Here are a few things to consider when gaining attention."][/caption]
- It's ok to use humor, just be careful not to offend. Also, make sure it is not culturally specific...everyone should get the joke.
- Quality graphics or animation are great. Remember only use them to reinforce and support the learning objective(s).
- Sims, scenarios or videos of how the content is applied will not only get their attention, but also reinforce the relevance of the course.
- Do not be hesitant because something may be perceived as silly. I propose that increases in silliness have a positive correlation with learner retention. Yes, that is my hypothesis. At this time I have plenty of anecdotal evidence to support this. I would share this evidence with you, but my dog ate it.
- Add educational games, puzzles, group exercises, etc.
Most importantly, if you have fun and add your personality in designing and/or facilitating the course your audience will have your attention and attention will be given to the content you are delivering. And of course retention and learner motivation will follow right along with it.
How do you gain attention?